What Help is Available?
You may be able to get help paying for part of your winter heating costs if you meet income guidelines. South Central Iowa Community Action Program will help you apply for benefits through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Until you apply, we cannot tell you how much money you will receive, but the amount could range from $200 to more than $500. Assistance levels depend on income level, family size, the type of fuel you use to heat your home, and other factors. If you are determined eligible for benefits through the LIHEAP program, you will also be prevented from disconnection from your heating and electrical service through March 31st. If you heat your home with liquid propane (LP), you can qualify to receive delivery of propane through this program.
When Can I Apply?
All SCICAP Outreach offices are OPEN
SCICAP is accepting applications beginning October 1st for households with elderly members aged 60 or older and/or disabled family members. November 1st is the application date for all other income-eligible households.
New Outreach Office hours:
- Lucas County: 117 S Grand St, Chariton, M-F 8am-12pm. NEW evenings T & TH 3:30pm to 6pm. (641) 217-8180
- Clarke County: 114 S Fillmore, Ste 2, Osceola, T&TH 8:30am-4pm & W 1pm-4pm. (641) 342-2101
- Decatur County: 306 N Main, Ste 1, Leon, M&F 8am-4:30pm & W 8am-12pm. (641) 446-4454
- Wayne County: 203 N Franklin, Corydon, M-TH 10am-3pm. (641) 872-1282
- Monroe County: 221 S Clinton St, Albia, M-TH 8am-1pm (641) 932-5107
What if I Have a Disconnection Notice?
If you have received a disconnection notice, or if you are disconnected from your power source, we can help you develop a plan. Being without power, especially in the winter, is dangerous. Do not wait. Call right away if you have a disconnection notice.
How to Apply
1. Locate the required documents you need to apply.
2. Review the application options below. Choose your method of application and submit your application along with the required documents.
You may be able to complete your application online during the application season. This will be the fastest method if your are comfortable with online applications and can upload your documentation.
You can download an application, print it out, and mail it back to us with copies of your documentation. Please be sure to complete all questions on the application.
In Office or Phone
Apply at your county Outreach office during regular business hours. Please make an appointment and bring ALL required documentation. You can request an appointment to complete your application via telephone by calling your local outreach center and we will help you set an appointment. We will also be able to accept a limited number of same day appointments each day but prefer to reserve those same-day appointments for people who are facing disconnection.