Crisis Assistance 

What assistance is available?

If your electric has been disconnected or you have a disconnect notice, you may be eligible for assistance.  Crisis Assistance pays for past due electric bills, and seasonal heating and cooling needs.  Benefits will be paid directly to utility vendors for qualifying households.

How do I know if I am eligible?

To qualify you must be disconnected, have a disconnect notice, or be at risk of default on a payment arrangement.  Schedule an appointment to complete the application at your county outreach office.

When can I apply?

Applications are being accepted now.

How can I apply?

  • Walk-In: Apply at your county Outreach Office during regular business hours.
  • Phone Appointment: Please call your county outreach office to apply.
  • Mail In Application: You may download an application, print it out, and mail it or drop in drop-box at your local SCICAP Outreach Office with ALL necessary documents listed below.

What documents are required?

All forms of documentation must be current and included with the application before we can assist with payments. The documents required are:

  1. A valid form of identification (Iowa Driver’s License, Social Security Card, etc.)
  2. Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members.
  3. A copy of your gas and electric bill.
  4. A disconnect notice for household.


Click Here to Download the Mail-In Application (English)

Click Here to Download the Mail-In Application (Spanish)