What is the Hunger-Free Monroe County group?
- This group is comprised of concerned citizens, non-profit agencies, local businesses and faith-based groups striving to improve food insecurity for the residents of Monroe County.
- According to Feeding America 12% of the population in Monroe County is food insecure or about 1,000 people. The senior population can be under reported but especially vulnerable to food insecurity due to fixed incomes and the inability to raise extra income from employment.
- Sharing information about resources for families or individuals in need. Promoting free, free-will or low-cost food events or services such as:
- Food pantries
- Help with applying for snap
- Community meals or free-will fundraisers
- Free/Reduced school lunch program
- Senior meals
- Senior Farmer Market checks
- Garden plants or seeds
- Garden space to plant
- WIC program
- We also try to address the inability for low-income families to secure basic non-food household supplies such as feminine products, laundry soap, toothpaste, diapers, shampoo, body soap, paper products and dish soap.
- One in three families struggle with this issue nation-wide.
- Women and girls in our community regularly have trouble affording feminine products.
Like us on face book @ Hunger-Free Monroe Co
Meetings are quarterly and open to anyone interested.
Contact Tina Maddison at 641-932-5107
3rd Annual Soup Tasting is Feb 11th at Trinity Methodist Fellowship Hall. We will be serving soups, breads and desserts 5-7 pm. Free-will donation or bring non-food household supply.