Low Income Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
What assistance is available?
If your water has been disconnected or you have a disconnect notice, you may be eligible for assistance with participating vendors. LIHWAP pays for past due drinking water, wastewater, fees, and taxes. LIHWAP does not cover non-water related services (garbage, recycling, etc.). Benefits will be paid directly to water vendors for qualifying households.
How do I know if I am eligible?
To qualify you must be disconnected, have a disconnect notice, or be at risk of default on a payment arrangement with participating water vendors. Schedule an appointment to complete the application at your county outreach office.
When can I apply?
Applications are being accepted beginning October 8, 2021, through September 30, 2023, or until funds are exhausted.
How can I apply?
- Walk-In: Apply at your county Outreach Office during regular business hours.
- Phone Appointment: Please call your county outreach office to apply.
- Mail In Application: You may download an application, print it out, and mail it or drop in drop-box at your local SCICAP Outreach Office with ALL necessary documents listed below.
What documents are required?
All forms of documentation must be current and included with the application before we can assist with water payments. The documents required are:
- A valid form of identification (Iowa Driver’s License, Social Security Card, etc.)
- Proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members.
- A copy of your gas and electric bill.
- A disconnect notice or notice of termination for household water bill included with a vendor statement.
How to Apply
Please call or using the Contact Us form.